Joan Rivers' Top 10 Musician Insults,
From Michael Jackson to Taylor Swift
To say celebrities had love-hate relationships with Joan Rivers would be an understatement, as surely her scathing attention is a symbol of "making it" but also comes with the comedian's wrath. And judging from her stand-up bits, one-line zingers and interviews, it seems Rivers often reciprocated those feelings.
"You can tune me out, you can click me off, it’s okay," the late Rivers told The Hollywood Reporter last year. "I am not going to bow to political correctness. But you do have to learn, if you want to be a satirist, you can’t be part of the party. Meaning, you can’t go horseback riding with Jackie O in Central Park if you’re going to make a joke about her that night."
It seems Rivers -- who died Thursday (Sept. 4) at age 81 -- seldom minded being outside the party and rarely missed an opportunity to crack a joke at a celebrity's expense. Of course, a number of famous musicians were caught in her crosshairs over the years, sparking sometimes more than a laugh and even ongoing feuds. Here's a list of Rivers' harshest musician one-liners:
10. "I can't wait for [Britney Spears'] career to be over so she can serve me coffee at a 7-11. She's such white trash."
9. "Marie Osmond is so pure, not even Moses could even part her knees."
8. "Taylor Swift's knees have been together more than Melissa and I."
7. "Boy George is all England needs -- another queen who can't dress."
6. "If I found Yoko Ono floating in my pool, I'd punish my dog."
5. "I met Adele! What's her song, 'Rolling in the Deep'? She should add 'fried chicken.'"
4. "I said Justin Bieber looked like a little lesbian -- and I stand by it: He's the daughter Cher wishes she'd had."
3. "Mick Jagger could French-kiss a moose. He has child-bearing lips."
2. "Madonna is so hairy. When she lifted her arm, I thought it was Tina Turner in her armpit."
1. "The whole Michael Jackson thing was my fault. I told him to date only 'twenty-eight-year-olds.' Who knew he would find 20 of them?"